Send an SMS (text message) from Gmail
Need to send a message to someone but forgot your phone? Gmail offers a free way to send text messages to your contacts. Follow the steps below:
Turn on SMS messaging:
- Go to Settings (the gear icon in the right corner of Gmail).
- Go to the Labs tab.
- Search for “SMS” and click Enable on the “SMS (text messaging) in Chat” Lab. Click Save Changes.
Send a message:
- Sign into chat. Click on the “quote bubble” icon in the left corner of the page and then click “sign into chat”.
- Enter your contact’s name in the “Search, chat, or SMS” box and select Send SMS from the options that appears to the right of your contact’s name.
- If a phone number isn’t already listed, type one in, fill out your message and hit send.
Gmail gives everyone a credit of 50 free messages you can send. Although anytime someone responds back with a text to you, you will receive 5 more credits. Read more about credits here.
For more help, visit Google Support.